Daily Health Advisors

Hospital under fire after patient dumped outside in cold - Atlanta Journal Constitution

January 12, 2018


This article was originally published on this site

A Baltimore hospital is under fire for its disturbing treatment of a patient, which was partially captured on video.

According to FOX 5, Imamu Baraka was near Baltimore’s University of Maryland Medical Center when he saw hospital staff dump a barely clothed patient and her belongings at a bus stop. Baraka pulled his phone out to document the incident.

He confronted the hospital staff, asking why they were leaving the clearly disoriented woman out in the cold without anyone to help her.

He posted the disturbing videos on Facebook.

“‘UMMC will be known for providing high value and compassionate care, improving health in Maryland and beyond, educating future health care leaders and discovering innovative ways to advance medicine worldwide,’” he wrote, quoting the medical center’s vision. “You can do better. You must do better.”

He also took and shared a screenshot of the outside temperature, which was in the 30s.

The post went viral and sparked outrage in those who watched the events unfold.

The hospital used Facebook to issue a statement Wednesday.

“We share the shock and disappointment of many who have viewed the video showing the discharge of a patient from the Emergency Department of UMMC Midtown the night of January 9,” they wrote. “This unfortunate event is not representative of our patient-centered mission.”

The hospital stated that they “failed” in their treatment.

No details leading up to the incident were offered.

“We are taking this matter very seriously, conducting a thorough review, and are evaluating the appropriate response, including the possibility of personnel action,” they concluded.

Enter Your Information Below to Receive Health Tips, Ideas and Articles.

Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Opt-out any time, we hate spam!